Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who was Saint Firmin and why are we named after him?
A. Saint Firmin was born in Pampalona, Spain during the 3rd century AD to a Roman of senatorial rank. He later converted to Christianity, and traveled to Amiens, France where he built a church and eventually became a bishop. Amiens was also the city where Saint Firmin was martyed. To honor Saint Firmin the city established Los Sanfermines, the Feastival of St. Firmin, a week long celebration featuring food, drink, music, and bull fights. Los Sanfermines has become Spains most famous festival due to its signature event, the Running of the Bulls, which was first made famous by Ernest Hemingway in The Sun Also Rises. Who better to be the namesake for a Matador?
- Q. What is the Society for Creative Anachronism?
- A. Quoted from the SCA web site - "The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, vaiuous classes & workshops, and more." The SCA is a non-profit, family freindly organization with activities for children of all ages.
- Q. Where is the College of Saint Firmin located in the "Known World"?
- A. The College of Saint Firmin resides within the Barony of Altavia in the Kingdom of Caid.
- Q. How often and where do we meet?
- A. The club meets each Tuesday evening on campus in the University Student Union.
- Q. What do we do when we meet?
- A. 1st Tuesday: The first meeting each month is devoted to discussing club business.
- 2nd Tuesday: The first hour is reserved for club business with the balance of the time devoted to the Baronial council meeting. These meetings are open to everyone and are a great way to stay informed about what's going on within the Barony.
- 3rd Tuesday: English Country Dance Pracice.
- 4th Tuesday: Arts and Sciences night! We meet to learn a new craft, work on making 'garb'(clothing) to wear at events, pretty much whatever is of interest to the populace.
- Every Thursday 7pm-9pm: Fighter practice. For those who are interested in the more physical aspects of the SCA, we break out the armour and under the guidance of of experienced heavy weapons and rapier fighters, hone our skills in martial combat.